None of us remember the time when we were a baby, but we do know how trying a new-born child can be. It is important to stop and think. What if you had just been thrust into this complicated world after 9 months of peace, quiet and warmth? What if your body was growing at an astonishing rate? What if you could not understand a word that was being said, and barely understood what you were? This might be a comical way to look at the situation, but the fact remains, being born and the early months of life, are a very stressful time. Here are some ideas, from baby massage to other helpful tips, that will make your baby feel happier, and therefore, have an even bigger impact on your life.
- Pampering. Babies love being pampered. They will feel alone very fast. Lots of hugs and kisses will do wonders for their emotion and bonding with you. Babies are very responsive to being touched. Rubs on the back, or even better, soft baby massage, will help them feel emotionally secure.
- Don’t Get Upset. Don’t be upset when your baby is crying. Remember your baby has no other way of communicating. Crying is only their way of trying to tell you they need something. Although this can push our patience to the limit, there is always a reason why they will cry. Distract them or try to give them what they need. If you get upset, you will only influence the feelings of your child and make the situation worse.
- Comfortable Clothing. Clothing is something new to babies. It will take some time for them to get used to it. Nappies are not always comfortable. Time without nappies should be encouraged. Choose childrens clothing that breathes. Natural and organic fibres are always the best.
- Feeding Times. Babies do not need to be force fed. They need to eat when they want to. Regular feeding times will come with a little time, but for newly born babies, they will be hungry much of the time. Remember how much they are growing!
- Freedom. Imagine how bored you would get if you were stuck in a cot or chair all day. Babies are no different. Although you will spend much of your time keeping your eye on them, you should give them as much freedom as possible. They will be more physically and mentally stimulated if they can do what they want.
All parents are the source of their baby’s health and happiness. The best way of good parenting is to stay emotionally connected with them. By giving them attention, you are actually giving them emotional support and helping manage the stress they are under. Yes, we can call this stress. Their bodies are changing and they are in a world they know little of. As emotional understanding grows, your communication will improve. This will lead to faster learning as your baby gets older.